Health Care Aide Challenge Program
The Health Care Aide (HCA) challenge is a process for uncertified caregivers with prior work experience who wish to meet provincial HCA certification requirements. Individuals may be eligible to challenge the HCA courses through a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Process (PLAR).
In order to obtain credit for the HCA certification, a high degree of self-paced, independent study is required. The challenge process can take up a year to complete depending on the learner. The process will include formal assessments of knowledge and skills.
HCA PLAR Steps:
- $60.00 application fee
- Learner must complete the Columbia College assessment test (HCA program related). Learners must meet the English Language Requirement.
Provide High School or other Post-Secondary training Transcripts
- Program Acceptance
- If the learner is deemed suitable for the HCA challenge, they will meet with the Program Coordinator and develop their individualized learning plan.
- Complete the HCA PLAR Self-Assessment Checklist
- Challenge the HCA courses through a series of assessments.
- Must be a minimum of 19 years old.
- Out of high school for 1 year.
- 18 years old with a Canadian grade 12 high school diploma.
All Students Must Have:
- Canadian Language Benchmark Level (CLBL) 7 (if English is your second language).
- Submitted a completed Columbia College application.
- Achieved an acceptable mark on the Columbia College assessment.
- Clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Submitted all other program requirements.
- Current CPR Level HCP (Health Care Provider) Certificate
- Up-to-date Immunization
The cost of the HCA challenge is approximately $1, 700. This will include the learning materials and formal assessments. Learners who do not achieve successful results on the challenge assessments, will be required to cover any additional supportive related costs.
HCA Program Coordinator: Caron Pelletier
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self